Multiple sclerosis is the chronic inflammatory demyelinating disease of central nervous system. It is an autoimmune disorder and is characterized by the production of antibodies that damage the nerve myelin sheath and ultimately the nerve itself. This leads to production of the significant physical disability commonly called as paralysis along with other symptoms like paraesthesia, intention tremor, scanning speech, nystagmus, heat intolerance, bowel and bladder dysfunction, sharp pain, ataxia, tremors and much more.
It has been found that clinical condition named as CCSVI, that is chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is one of the factors that add to the damage of nerves or nervous system in multiple sclerosis.
MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS affects largely the young adults between the age of 20-40 years and is more common in women.
It is an autoimmune disease which is induced by viral and several other infectious agents which lead to increased antibodies in the cerebrospinal fluid that elicits the autoimmune response resulting in nerve damage.
The precise cause of MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS is unknown. However, the following factors play a vital role in progression of the MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.
- Multiple Sclerosis is autoimmune disease which is believed to be induced by viral or infectious agents leading to breakdown of the immune system that ultimately destroys nervous system.
- Genetic susceptibility plays an important role in development of Multiple Sclerosis. It has been proved that if one of the parents has MS, then their children are at high risk of getting the disease.
- Bacterial or viral infection can trigger Multiple Sclerosis as they are responsible and known to cause demyelination. These viruses includes herpes virus 6, chlamydial pneumonia, Epstein-Barr etc.
If you have been suffering from above-mentioned symptoms, and if the reports of your laboratory test are indicating the signs of breast cancer and you are diagnosed with the breast cancer then you should undergo the treatment at the earliest.
The procedure is done under general anaesthesia. The surgeon locates the area to be treated either by using the MRI / CT scan or using the electrode recording technique for mapping and targeting the brain area to be treated. After locating the area, the electrodes are implanted in the target area whose loose end in placed under the skin of the head and the incisions are sutured back.
The second part of the surgery is the placement of the impulse generator in the chest. It is done using general anaesthesia and generator is placed and positioned to connect with the electrode using extension wires.
Baclofen pump implantation
- The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. The surgeon will first place the pump just beneath the skin of your abdomen which is connected to the catheter that is thin and flexible silicon tube. In the second part of the surgery, the catheter is threaded under skin inside intrathecal space surrounding the spinal cord. At this place there will be constant delivery of the medicine to relieve spasticity.
- CCSVI liberation is an endovascular procedure and done by a team of neurologist, neurovascular interventional radiologist in a state of the neuroendovascular lab with built-in CT. Procedure is performed in local anesthesia along with sedation. Venography is performed through one of the leg veins followed by balloon angioplasty of stenosis. Re-evaluation is done after the procedure through Doppler, neurology to study the response of the procedure.
Recovery following the procedures is simple and quick. The patient would need to stay at the hospital for a day or two and another week to ten days in India before he/ she can go back.
Deep brain stimulation offers a definite treatment for the control tremors of the arm. DBS may help the tremors of the head and body, but the treatment is aimed at treating arm tremors. DBS is not known to help other symptoms of MS.
CCSVI liberation is still in research phase and long-term results of the treatment are still unknown, though research has shown liberation to help and improve symptoms in many patients.
We encourage you to educate yourself about multiple sclerosis treatment in India, benefits from the right kind of procedure and then make an informed decision.
You can be rest assured that with Surgicure International's expertise, we bring in a wonderful experience of medical tourism in India, which we have been doing so for almost a decade now.