to perform Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) that aims to manage the coronary artery diseases by re-channeling the blood around the blocked coronary artery, thus making an alternate route for the blood to supply vital nutrients and oxygen to the heart muscles.
Why opt for Minimally Invasive Cardiac surgery in India (MIDCAB)?
Recent innovations and advances in the surgical techniques and equipment allow the cardiac surgeon to perform CABG is a less traumatic way causing lesser tissue damage and is known as “minimally invasive”. This approach provides advantage of circumventing the need of cardiopulmonary bypass (heart lung machine) as the surgery is performed on the beating heart through smaller incisions of around 3-5 cms across the ribs instead of larger ones that are often given in the traditional CABG through the sternum.
The ultimate aim of MIDCAB (minimally invasive cardiac surgery) surgery is to reduce the rates of morbidity and mortality, offer faster recovery, reduce chances of infection, shorter hospital stay, alleviate the risk of bleeding and blood trauma and to deliver better outcomes without digging deep in your pocket.
Candidates for MIDCAB:
Not every patient with the coronary artery disease or other cardiac ailment is ideal for MIDCAB. The patient has to undergo battery of test and after evaluating comprehensively, the surgeon decides if the person is appropriate to undergo MIDCAB surgery in India. The patient has to meet following criteria to be eligible for the minimally invasive cardiac surgery in India;
- History of coronary artery disease
- High risk patient with underlying PVD, renal disease, or who are at risk for stroke may benefit from MIDCAB
Performing MIDCAB depends on the size and location of the coronary artery lesions. But you can expect the great success rates and best results following the minimally invasive heart surgery in India at trusted hands of exceptionally skilled and top heart surgeon in India.
How is Minimally Invasive Cardiac surgery in India performed?
MIDCAB is an advanced procedure to perform coronary bypass in which the heart is approached through small incision of 4 cm placed just under the nipple between the ribs without cutting any bones or ripping muscles. Analogous to the conventional CABG, vascular bypass vessel grafts (arteries/veins) may be obtained by harvesting the internal mammary artery, saphenous vein, radial artery or the gastroepiploic artery and is sutured to the targeted coronary artery so as to bypass the blockage.
Suturing or sewing on the beating heart is one of the greatest challenge that surgeon has to face while performing MIDCAB or OPCAB. So the stabilization system is used to stable the portion of the heart on which the surgeon has to operate. Avoiding the use of heart lung machine, this system makes it possible for the surgeon to operate on the patient’s heart very safely although it is beating continually.
MIDCAB- Potential advantages after the surgery:
Similar to the conventional CABG, minimally invasive CABG in India have the same beneficial outcome by restoring the adequate blood circulation and normal distribution of essential nutrients and oxygen to the heart. However, apart from this MIDCAB has the additional advantage over the traditional CABG which includes;
- Faster recovery: Smaller incisions and dodging heart lung machine results in early recovery by reducing the risk of possible complications like stroke, renal failure etc. which makes it possible for the patient to resume their normal activities within 2 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks that is often required with conventional surgery.
- Shorter hospital stay: In contrast with the typical 8-10 days hospitalization for conventional CABG surgery, the Minimally Invasive CABG surgery in India requires shorter length of stay for only 3-4 days in the hospital.
- Alleviate risk of bleeding and blood trauma: Not using heart-lung machine during MIDCAB lessens the risk of blood trauma as such artificial circuits may damage the blood cells and may disturb the ability of the blood to clot after the surgery.
- Lessen the risk of infection: The smaller incision implies lesser extent of tissue disruption which in turn lowers the likelihood of infection and other related complications.
The advances in minimally invasive heart surgery by the hands of the top cardiac surgeons in India assure for the best outcome after the surgery. IndiCure has chosen few of the best cardiac surgery hospitals in India and top heart surgeons in India to provide affordable and trustworthy treatment options and delivering the best medical care to the medical tourist looking for low cost surgery options overseas.